Home > About
To offer an Integral Education that helps children to realize their full inner Potential, to open to a New Consciousness, and to become agents of Transformation in the world and creators of the Next Future. A new approach, a paradigm shift.
To work for a global movement towards Integral Education which
1. Strives for the development of all aspects of a child’s personality
- Physically, a strong, healthy, graceful and beautiful body.
- Emotionally, a sensitive, refined and an energetic personality.
- Mentally a wide, lively, clear, intelligence and will.
- Spiritually, those deeper and subtler qualities which unify and harmonize the whole being.
2. Prepares for a life long journey of progressive evolution and growth. Along with information and skills, its primary focus is on the development of the Qualities and Faculties that make life beautiful and happy.
3. Provides an environment and an opportunity to the Teachers, Parents and members of the society for self-development and greater self-awareness, and encourages them to contribute to the growth of the children with the realization that every child is special and unique and must be helped to progress in freedom, joy and service.
4. Helps the children to come closer to the soul of India, to become aware of their great heritage and to work for an even greater future.
5. Fosters in each child the attributes and values of a responsible, capable, active and healthy member of the family, the society, the nation, and humanity.
In keeping with the child centered approach, the children are given freedom to explore, grow and develop. The relationship between freedom and responsibility is made clear to them through consistent introspection.
A fully equipped school building with all modern amenities.
Sri Aurobindo Society Patiala got land on Lease for 99 years on 13-5-1976 near Bus- Stand. Sh.S.D Ganda Managing Director of State Bank of Patiala used to have Weekly meetings at his residence. After his transfer, Major Gen O.S Kalkat (Member Public Service Commission Punjab) became the Divine Instrument in getting this piece of land, Sh. Ram Lall Kad Brigd. Bant Singh, Padam Shri Dr N.D. Aggarwal, Chitranjan and others made their efforts to construct building, called Shangrilla for the children whose parents were not alive.
On 2 Feb 1984 Sri Aurobindo International School was started with 50 children which gradually grew up to its present status in the city. The school has its own identity, with all around progress of children as its prime purpose. It was affiliated to CBSE. The School has created a niche for itself among Cluster of CBSE Schools having participation in all co-curricular activities.
Integral Education is main vision of Sri Aurobindo which places great emphasis on child’s Spiritual, Mental, Emotional and Physical Development. Integral education aims to address the physical, emotional, mental and spiritual aspect of the individual which help the child to understand his/her self from within. It focuses on development of key faculties (abilities and talents) so that a child becomes total individual. The focus and emphasis shifts in this type of education from information acquisition to self development in its essence.
The emotional development of student is made possible because of the non-threatening and friendly atmosphere wherein a child learns to cultivate self-discipline while being sensitive to the needs of others. A sense of introspection and self-reflection is inculcated, that helps the child to understand value at a deeper level. The serene environment helps the child to become calm and centered. The child grows with trees, flowers, friends and teachers. This creates space of joy and ease in the heart of the child leading to true emotional development. We believe learning is a life -long affair and it must begin from the home, the immediate community, the country and then move to the world at large.
Integral education focuses on development of the faculties and development of qualities which form the back-bone of all meaningful learning. Language, music, arts, crafts, dance, theater, scientific exploration, games and sports are a part of the curriculum. The learning by rote method is replaced by interesting activities and absorbing projects that greatly stimulates the interest of the child and evoke deep response from him. An individual approach is adopted for children in order to bring out their full potential. This naturally implies a small number of students in a group.
Our methods and approach have the following characteristics:
- A friendly, safe, supportive environment that encourages self-discipline and introspection
- An emphasis on inquiry based rather then role based learning
- Inter-disciplinary approach to knowledge is encouraged so that the child can integrate knowledge of different subjects for a natural, holistic self-development
- A direct focus on development power of the mind and qualities of the heart through special programmes and classes
- The teacher often leads by example to inspire learning and creates an environment where collective learning and sharing of skills is encouraged
- A friendly supportive, cooperative environment that allows freedom to the child
- An integrated and holistic teaching approach that shapes the complete individual
- Individual attention with not more than 35-40 students per class
- A dedicated, sensitive and efficient faculty
- A unique campus made out of a garden, seeped in Nature’s blessings
Interdisciplinary approach that enables an integral understanding and practical application is introduced through the ‘project method’. In this approach subjects are taught around a theme. You move from general theme to specific subject, for example student could select’ coconuts’ then study about agriculture, climate, economics, recipes, literature, biology and so on. The learners select their goal after deliberation, they select their theme, do their research, gather information, compile, experiment, infer, share, present and reflect. This is a learner oriented activity where the child has maximum opportunity to explore and become an independent learner, with the teachers always there to guide and help.